LASER CLADDING TECHNOLOGY
Laser-Powder-Cladding is a welding process where the surface of a metallic part is heated by a high power laser. By addition of filler material, a cladding layer is generated. The new materials strengthen and enhance the original component properties to lengthen its lifespan, thereby improving overall engine efficiency at a fraction of the cost of buying a new component.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Industrial application of Laser-Powder-Cladding draws for 15 years of research and development by Gall & Seitz Systems and in cooperation with Trumpf and the Bremen Institute of Applied Beam Technologies to bring forth cutting edge technology firstly to marine sector. Central objects of research have been turbo charges and pistons of axillary engines. Beside a wide range of part from all kinds of industries, nowadays more than 6.500 pistons and 1.800 turbochargers of various makes are reconditioned by Laser-Powder-Cladding and successfully put back into full service targeting a zero claim policy.
The process offers the technical advantages:
- Metallic bonding of layers
- Very limited distortion
- Small heat affected zone
- Low effort in pre and post processing
- High-powered lasers, 5 units
- High accuracy 6-axis robot for laser systems
- Turn tilt unit and adapters for various work pieces
- Mechanical workshop for machining
- Portable CMM for dimensional inspections
- Support system for shafts up to 5 m in length
After extensive scientific tests, our processes have been proven to restore and recondition engineering components effectively and extend their lifespan after being put back in operation. Laser-Powder-Cladding is also DNV-GL and LR approved.
Through Laser-Powder-Cladding, we offer the following advantages, or what we deem as the r3:
- Reconditioning and enhancing worn areas and new contours to original sizes
- Reduced down times for ship owners and charters requiring repairs
- Lower costs for reconditioning components
- Saving the environment by restoring old parts instead of replacing them entirely